THREE 10-ERS IN COLORADO SPRINGS AND THE PIKES PEAK REGION
Three 10-Hour Days Each of Adventure,
Family Fun and Romance.The Colorado Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau (CSCVB) and Pikes Peak Country Attractions Association are excited to present the new Colorado Springs Three 10-ers getaways for families this summer! These three-day vacation itineraries are suggestions for 10-hour days filled with romance, family fun and adventure. Visitors are encouraged to mix and match these ideas to create the ideal Colorado Springs/Pikes Peak region getaway for them and their family … or just with that one special someone! In just three 10-hour days, vacationers will be able to get a taste of all that the region has to offer! Following is a sampling of activities from the CSCVB and PPCAA to help summer travelers plan their own Three 10-er vacation!
1. Whitewater rafting with Four Corners Rafting offers an incredible whitewater adventure. A narrow, rocky, steep, cold-water run requiring advanced skills to negotiate tight maneuvers, huge holes, and boat-crashing waves. Helmets are provided and wetsuits may be required.
2. Hike up beautiful and scenic Pikes Peak, at an elevation of 14,110 feet. Halfway up your climb will be Barr Camp, where you can rest and enjoy a picnic lunch that you packed and brought with you. Remember to drink plenty of water. Once at the summit enjoy a well-deserved high altitude donut, prepared only at the Pikes Peak Summit House.
Now it’s time to head down, and there are fun ways to do it:
Cog Railway – but you MUST pick up your ticket before you go up the mountain.
Bike down! The ultimate mountain biking experience for riders of all levels and ages. Challenge Unlimited pride themselves in specialized tours.
3. Head for the Santa Fe Trail with your mountain bike for a wonderful biking adventure. The trail is a 30-mile, multi-use trail that extends north from the Fountain Creek Nature Center to Palmer Lake. The trail is smooth and is a great place to ride with the family or take a training ride.
4. Top-off the evening with a nightcap the Golden Bee Pub, a merry dining spot at the world-renowned BROADMOOR resort and loved throughout Colorado Springs. The Golden Bee is an authentic 19th-century English pub, where you sing along with live piano music.
FAMILY FUN 10-ER
Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs offer a wide range of family-friendly motels and campgrounds. Check their web sites and visitor guides to choose a property that fits your budget.
1. The Garden of the Gods, with 1,300 acres of magnificent sandstone formations, natural beauty, wildlife and native plants. Pick up a map at the Visitor Center and explore this remarkable park and its ancient red sandstone rock formations.
2. Manitou Cliff Dwellings, a place to experience the ancient Anasazi Indian culture of the Southwest. These ruins were in danger of being destroyed in the early 1900s before they were moved and meticulously rebuilt in the red sandstone cliffs overlooking Manitou Springs.
3. Visit Manitou Springs, founded at the turn of the century as a health resort. Nine of the mineral drinking springs that made Manitou Springs a famous health destination still run freely today. Downtown Manitou Springs offers unique shopping and great dining.
4. The exciting days of the Old West are recreated in Ghost Town, an authentic old western town, built from the ghost towns of Pikes Peak’s gold mining era. The rooms are furnished with antiques and panning for gold is part of the fun.
5. Drive to the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, home of the world’s highest suspension bridge (1,053' above the Arkansas River). The Royal Gorge Bridge and Park gives you several ways to cross the canyon. You can walk or drive across the bridge, or cross the canyon in an aerial tram. Go to the bottom of the canyon on the world’s steepest incline railway.
6. Head to The Flying W Ranch for a chuck wagon dinner. Spend some time in the old western town before you sit down under the Colorado skies with your cowboy-style dinner. Then enjoy authentic cowboy songs performed by the nationally known Flying W Wranglers.
PAMPERING AND ROMANCE 10-ER
1. Begin your day with a hot air balloon ride high over Colorado Springs. On this sunrise adventure, you’ll experience the gentle, silent flight of a hot air balloon for an hour of pure enchantment guided by the experienced hand of a skilled pilot.
2. Explore the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center. There, you'll discover one of the finest Native American and Hispanic art collections on display in the Taylor Museum, along with fine art from the 19th to 21st centuries, including important contemporary work from O'Keeffe, Sargent, Hartley, Dove, Diebenkorn and Marin.
3. Head over to South Cheyenne Canyon Park at the base of the famed Seven Falls, where granite walls surround you. Your hiking boots are tied on and you have a backpack filled with water, wine, fruit and cheese for an incredible hike and romantic picnic. You’ll enjoy the seven distinct steps as Seven Falls cascades 181 feet in down a solid cliff of granite.
4. Head to the Spa at The BROADMOOR to pamper yourself and your loved one with a couple's massage where the treatment is “twice as nice.” Then, enjoy a private lunch, or sip a fruit smoothie in the intimate outdoor hot tub.
5. Take a Paddleboat Ride around Cheyenne Lake, photographing the swans as they drift dreamily by in the halo of a perfect Colorado sunset. Finish the day with dinner lakeside in Charles Court at The BROADMOOR and a nightcap by the outdoor fireplace at the Hotel Bar. Perfect.