1. What will the weather be like during my visit to Colorado Springs?
Because Colorado Springs is so close to the mountains, the weather can change at a moments notice. In the winter, pack warmer clothes and dress in layers. Dressing in layers allows you to remove outer clothes, jackets, sweaters, etc. if you become too warm during the day. Evenings are crisp and can become quite chilly. Dressing for summer is a snap. Just about anything goes as the days of summer can become quite warm. Remember to pack an umbrella as summer afternoon thunderstorms move in and out of the region quickly helping cool down a warm day. Bring a light jacket or sweater for summer nights which cool down comfortably. The average yearly humidity is below average as we are considered an alpine desert.
2. Is there a local shuttle service I can take to Denver and to the various attractions around Colorado Springs?
We suggest that you call the Colorado Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau directly. Visitor information specialists can give you the latest information on shuttle companies and can help find the shuttle service that best suits your needs.
3. Do you have any discount coupons for the area attractions?
The Convention and Visitors Bureau begins selling the new season Passport to Fun in May of each year. These coupons are good to the next May. The cost of the coupon sheets are $2.00 plus tax of .13 cents for a total of $2.13, but the savings far exceeds the purchase of the coupons. Many of the coupons are good for 4 to 6 people, and the savings amount to about $100.00.
You can also go to the home page of this website, to the upper right hand corner "Pikes Peak Region Coupons, Click Here" for printable coupons for Attractions, Accommodations, and Activities for the Pikes Peak area.
4. What exit do I take off of I-25 to get to the Colorado Springs Airport coming from the Denver area?
Exit 139 Fountain Boulevard, go east to Powers Boulevard, turn right on Powers to Drennan Road, turn left on Drennan Road, Drennan takes you straight into the airport.
5. Can we tour NORAD?
Yes, but it takes about 6 months to get an appointment at NORAD. The phone number to call is 719-474-2239 (scheduling). They are open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
6. Is the Air Force Academy open to the public?
Please refer to the website for the United States Air Force Academy for current visitation status and answers to other F.A.Q.s.
7. Is the Olympic Training Center open to the public?
Yes, the Center is open to the public, they will show you a movie for about 1/2 hour, then one of the staff will take you on a guided tour. The tour guides are very informative and can answer most of the questions you may have.
8. How long is the ride on the Cog train? What is the fare? Do I need a reservation?
The train ride takes approximately 3 hours and 10 minutes round trip. The fare is $26.50 for adults and $14.00 for children ages 3-11, under 3 are free, but must be held in your lap. For reservations call 719-685-5401.
9. Are there any golf courses in Colorado Springs?
Yes, there are approximately 21 courses in Colorado Springs, 11 are public.
10. Are there any biking tours or bike companies in Colorado Springs?
Yes. Challenge Unlimited, 1-800-798-5964, and Criterium Bike Shop, 719-475-0149.
11. Coming from Denver what exit do I take to reach the Visitors Center?
Take exit 141 - Cimarron, go east to Cascade Avenue, we are on the southeast corner of the intersection.
12. Where is the AAA office?
Triple A is located on Carefree North, the address is 3525 Carefree Circle North, Colorado Springs, CO 80917. Phone: 719-591-2222. They are open Monday through Friday 8:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturdays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Take Academy Boulevard north to Carefree Circle North, turn right, the AAA office is about 1 block east of Academy. There is a American National Bank on the corner of Academy & Carefree Circle North.
13. What is the name of the local newspaper?
The Gazette, 30 N. Prospect Colorado Springs, CO 80903, 719-632-5511.
14. What is the nearest ski area to Colorado Springs?
Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper Mountain, they are approximately 110 miles away.
15. Do you have transportation from Colorado Springs to the ski areas?
Call the Information Specialists at the Colorado Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau who can give you updated information on transportation available.
16. What is the elevation of Colorado Springs?
6,035 feet above sea level.
17. Can I drive up Pikes Peak? How long a drive is it?
Yes, you can drive up the Peak, Monday through Friday (weekdays) 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., weather permitting, Saturdays and Sundays (weekends) 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. It takes about an hour to drive up an another hour to drive back down.